Good Puggle care is about making sure your home is a safe and happy environment for your dog. Dogs have a naturally curious and mischievous nature. In other words, they will get into anything and everything if given half the chance. The following are 10 items that you may have around your home which are hazardous to your dog’s health –

  • Antifreeze – Antifreeze tastes like a sweet treat to your dog, and will be very appealing to him/her. Although vital to your vehicle in the winter, antifreeze is incredibly poisonous to dogs and can kill them. Signs to watch for in your dog include: vomiting, lethargy, stumbling and seizures. Should you suspect that your dog has ingested antifreeze call your vet immediately.

Make sure you store antifreeze on a high shelf or in a locked cupboard to avoid spills or the chance of your dog getting into it.

  • Bleach – Household bleach is extremely toxic to dogs and can lead to death if ingested. Signs of bleach poisoning including vomiting, excessive drooling, and stomach pain. If you suspect or know your dog has ingested bleach, as part of your Puggle care you should not induce vomiting – call the vet immediately.

Store bleach in a locked cupboard or high shelf for safety.

  • Chocolate – Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains obromine. Chocolate can kill dogs if ingested in small or large amounts. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting, excessive urination and activity, and can lead to seizures. Call your vet immediately if you suspect your Puggle has ingested chocolate.

Make sure chocolate candies are where your dog can’t reach them, especially when you have guests over for the holidays.

  • Detergent – There are a variety of household detergents and other chemicals that are incredibly toxic to dogs. You are responsible for Puggle care and, therefore, need to ensure that fabric softener, clothing and dish detergent, bathroom cleaners, etc. are kept in a safe place far from your dog’s reach. The following are the signs and symptoms that may occur if your dog is suffering from chemical poisoning: Excessive drooling, vomiting, lethargy, muscle weakness, mouth burns, and even a coma. Contact your Vet right away and do not induce vomiting.
  • Fruit pits and seeds – The pits and seeds of most fruits are actually toxic to dogs. Excessive drooling, vomiting and lethargy are the common symptoms exhibited by dogs that have been poisoned by fruit pits and/or seeds. Your dog should be taken to the Vet right away.

Do not leave the garbage lying around where your dog can get at it, and keep fruit out of your dog’s reach.

  • House plants – Many of the lovely plants you have in your home can actually be deadly to your dog. Some toxic plants include aloe, ferns, lilies and ivy. If your dog has ingested a toxic plant, the following are symptoms to watch for: vomiting and a stimulated nervous system. Be sure to contact your Vet right away.

Make sure you find out if your plants are harmful to your pet. Keep those that are not out of his/her reach. However, if you do have plants that are toxic to dogs, the best Puggle care you can employ is to rid your house of such plants.

  • Mothballs – Moth balls are pure poison to dogs. This shouldn’t surprise you considering the fact that moth balls contain insecticide. A dog that ingests a moth ball will likely have symptoms of vomiting and seizures. Your dog needs immediate veterinary care if you suspect or saw him/her ingest a moth ball. Do not induce vomiting and rush them to the Vet right away as moth balls can result in liver failure.

If you use moth balls, get rid of them for your dog’s safety.

  • MouthwashThe product you love that gives you minty fresh breath doesn’t provide your dog with the same benefits. Most mouthwashes actually have an ingredient known as boric acid in them. Boric acid is extremely toxic to dogs and when ingested, leads to symptoms including excessive drooling, vomiting, seizures and coma. Your dog should be taken to his/her Vet right away if you suspect or know that this poisoning has occurring. Note: Boric acid can also be found in denture cleaner and contact lens solution.  

Keep mouthwash and other Boric acid items out of reach for best Puggle care.

  • Tylenol – Tylenol (acetaminophen) can be quite deadly to dogs. This drug is particularly toxic to dogs because canines do not have the necessary liver enzymes to break it down. Symptoms of Tylenol toxicity including: excessive drooling, lethargy and stomach pain. Call your Vet right away.

Keep Tylenol and all medication in a proper medicine cabinet well out of your dog’s reach.

  • Watch batteries – It only takes 12 hours for an ingested watch battery to kill your dog. Swallowing a watch battery can result in a fatal stomach ulceration. Any alkaline battery produces this same effect and symptoms include: excessive drooling, loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting. See your vet for immediate Puggle care if you suspect your dog has swallowed a battery.

Keep all batteries in a safe, secure location far from the reach of your Puggle.